Convey the company’s pivotal role in the electricity sector
#content & stories
#internal engagement & training
The role of Terna as one of Europe’s biggest power grid operators is evolving rapidly as it needs not only to ensure safe and reliable electricity supplies but also to lead the transition towards a greener and more sustainable energy system, enabling a range of clean energy solutions.
Terna turned to us to develop a communications approach that reflects this new role and the new strategic direction the company adopted. The focus of our work was the company’s website, including strategy presentation, sustainability communications and storytelling, with a focus on engaging a wider audience beyond its traditional expert users.
Read also about how we worked with Terna to create an electricity encyclopaedia on Wikipedia.
The key output of our work was to define Terna’s content strategy, defining the company’s key messages and how to convey it to different stakeholders.
To do so we carried out an in-depth benchmark of Europe’s TSOs (Transmission System Operators), conducted interviews with key managers and undertook an in-depth analysis of Terna’s communications assets.
Our content strategy wasn’t a static document but a vision that evolved over time as we developed new ways to implement its guidelines. At a later stage, we came up with specific approaches to sustainability and storytelling to guide the company in reorganising its sustainability content and launching a corporate storytelling site.
TOTAL OVERHAUL OF WEB CONTENT
Over the course of about three years, we have been guided by the content strategy, close contact with different business functions and on-going analysis of website analytics to undertake a total overhaul of the corporate website’s structure and contents. This has included reorganising and re-writing most parts of the website, such as:
– Carve-out of “Governance” and “People” as stand-alone first-level sections with renewed content
– The reorganisation of the critical “Electricity System” section, which accounts for the majority of the website’s traffic, to better explain Terna’s business and role in the power system
– The creation of a new “Projects” section to explain to local communities the many infrastructure projects being carried out and the dialogue initiatives undertaken in these areas
– A total re-working of the “Sustainability” section to clearly explain the company’s impact and better integrate the topic into the overall corporate narrative
– A revamping of the “About us” section to better explain Terna’s purpose, its role in the energy transition and its investment in innovation
– Strategic support in setting up Lightbox, a new corporate blog created to tell the human stories behind Terna’s business.